Just another average sunset in paradise!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The great dishwasher experiment

Most of the houses I have lived in since the 70s have had a dishwasher but I really never used them.  My thought was that in the time it took to rinse all the dishes and load the dishwasher, I could have completed the total project.   Last week a Cascade commercial caught my eye.  The commercial showed dirty dishes being loaded into the dishwasher and coming out sparking clean.

For four days I placed unrinsed dishes in the dishwasher.  The residue on the dishes included the remnants of eggs over easy, macaroni and cheese, chicken and dumplings, a chili-cheese omelet, a breakfast cinnamon roll and a pastrami with swiss sandwich.  (Reviewing the menu, it's not surprising I need to lose 10 lbs.)  All of the flatware used for these meals and a couple of milk glasses completed the test sample.

After adding the recommended amount of Cascade, I selected the most powerful setting: Heavy Wash and added the High Temp Scour option, hit the start button and anxiously awaited the sparkling dishes.  I also selected the "Air Dry" option anticipating that the dishes might not be as clean as the ones in the commercial and not wanting to bake the residue on even tighter.

OMG!  With the exception of one fork, everything was spotless!  The eggs over easy residue had been there for four days in a Pyrex pie baking dish (less spillage that way) and it came out as clean as I have ever washed it.  My next experiment will be a regular wash.  Wow, 40+ years of ignoring dishwashers and now I may discover the error of my ways 4 months prior to living full time in Dod.  As usual, my timing is impeccable!

I guess you are never too old to learn but I wonder what else I may have missed!

4 comments:

  1. A man invited his lady friend over for dinner. As he was serving it up she noticed a spot on her plate and commented about it. He assured her that plate was as clean as soap and water could get it. They finished their meal and he picked up the plates and placed them on the floor.

    "Here Soap, here Water," he called as his two old dogs lumbered into the kitchen to lick the plates.
    -----------
    I think I prefer the dishwasher :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people don't know you should not rinse you dishes totaly off before you put them in the dishwasher. The dishwasher soap is made to cling to the food left on the dish and clean them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking you won't have to worry about automatic dishwashers in the near future. Ignorance is bliss sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got to be kidding. Afer all those years of not using my dishwasher for the same reason, I learn this now? When I'm moving into a 24 foot motorhome? Oh well, I LIKE hand washing the dishes.

    ReplyDelete