Just another average sunset in paradise!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

As I began the search for an RV, in the back of my mind I had a goal of finding an ordinary (or or even less than ordinary) looking Class C with a great motor and fully functioning accessories.  My reasoning behind this was that since my planned travels would take me to remote locations in Mexico, I would prefer not to attract attention by driving a newer, shiny rig.

Another reason for an older rig is definitely budget and the fact that this is more or less an experiment.  Friends advised me to rent an RV and live in it for a couple of weeks before making my final decision.  After checking rental rates and comparing them to the prices of RVs for sale, I realized that I could buy an old RV for roughly the same amount as it would cost for a two week rental!  A standard Class C RV currently rents for $693. per week and  $0.32 per mile.  At 50 miles per day, a two week rental would be over $1600.

With Dod, I have the permanent use of an RV and my total investment to date is less than $1200.  Also, with the repairs and improvements I have made, Dod is now probably worth  more than what I have invested.  I am content with Dod!  Who knows what I might think about Dod if I had rented a 2010 RV for two weeks and gotten spoiled.

2 comments:

  1. Dod is a cute little critter for the money! Perfect for where you are headed too. Your logic with choosing Dod makes perfect sense to me! I look forward to reading more about your travels!

    -Mike
    97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
    HTTP://WWW.VanTramps.Com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss the post where you found Dod? Or have I not run into it yet? I started at the beginning and seem to have missed it. Guess I'll have to mozy on through the rest and see! :)

    Erik

    ReplyDelete