Just another average sunset in paradise!

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Mexican Dentist

Yesterday I made my fourth trip to the dentist in San Blas.  Knowing that I was going to be in Mexico I put off some much needed dental work for a year.  The cost of the work in the US was way beyond my budget.  While it will cost nearly $2,000. dollars here that is just a fraction of what it would have cost.

With the prices here I am able to have everything done that I need.  I will wind up with a bridge and caps on the front ten of my upper teeth.  The lowers will be whitened first and then a color match will be made for the bridge and caps.

Dental work in Mexico is not for the squeamish.  The precautions we take for granted in the US are not always followed here.  The dentist does wear latex gloves but often touches things like his phone or switches on equipment that are not sterile.  Also, during much of the work he did on my last visit he was talking to his assistant about his kids, her kids, the cost to rent a house and many other subjects.

I told the dentist that I wanted a nice smile because I wanted una novia (a girlfriend) and he proceeded to try to set me up with his dental assistant who is 36 years old and divorced.  Who knows?  It is nice to have a dentist who is also your friend.  I told him my friend wants to buy a refrigerator that runs on propane and he said to call him when I am in Tepic and he will drive me around to find one.  I can't imagine a dentist in the US volunteering to do that.

In one month I will be able to show the after pictures.  There is no way I would take a before picture.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. You're a better man than I.
    The dentist's chair is not one of my favourite places, even though I've had regular check-ups over the last 30 years or so. Thankfully most all of that was covered by some sort of plan.
    Who knows, maybe you'll like his assistant too?
    That would be good blog fodder!
    Take 'er easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be great to get a nice smile AND a girlfriend? Unfortunately, no one likes going to the dentist, but it's good you're getting the work done. The longer you wait, the more it hurts. Physically and financially. :( Good luck!

    ReplyDelete