Just another average sunset in paradise!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Cultural Center Yard Sale

The Cultural Center of Matanchen Bay is a gathering spot for ex-pats every Sunday for the farmer's market.  Last Sunday they had a yard sale instead.  All the proceeds from the sale go to buy books and computers for the center to help with the education of the local children.

I went to socialize and because my friends wanted to buy hammocks.  The hammock vendor had to park outside the gates and do business on the street as if he had been in the sale, all of his proceeds would have to be donated.  My friends bought hammocks, blankets and jewelry from him at some great prices.  They had been looking at hammocks at every stop they made in their 5 month stay in Mexico and most were priced over 1000 pesos.  They said that these were the best they had seen and they were only 500 pesos.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."  Like I said earlier, I only went to socialize.  The foolish thing was that I went with a pocket full of pesos and could not resist the bargains.  My purchases included: two wooden chairs with woven reed seats @ $8. each; three brand new Tiki Torches with a bottle of citronella to burn in them for $8. total; 3 t-shirts, 1 Hawaiian shirt and 1 belt all for $1. each.  I would have gladly paid more as it was for a good cause but I am not foolish enough to turn down bargains.

No comments:

Post a Comment