Just another average sunset in paradise!

Monday, August 22, 2011

Doing the flip-flop flop!



As I have grown older it has become apparent that my coordination is not as good as it used to be.  In the past I could go for days without an injury that caused bleeding.  Nowadays, it seems that I can be injured just by thinking about a project.  If I can go 2 more days without an injury I will be scab-free for the first time in at least 3 months.

After I finished 90% of the Dod projects that required power tools (or just ordinary tools for that matter) I probably had 20 small scabs on my arms, legs and head!  Each time I got that number down really low, I would obtain more and I never can really figure out how I get them.

About two weeks ago, Jesse and I were walking down a trail we have taken many times before.  For some reason I decided that I really didn’t need to change from my flip-flops into my tennis shoes for this walk.  WRONG!!  I was looking one way while my feet were going the other way.  My flip-flop caught on a rock and I took one of those “slow-motion” tumbles.  I say slow motion because I saw the ground coming up and was able to use my right arm to break the fall and avoid injury to my head.  However,  all along my right side from my foot to my shoulder I got road burn.  Add another 40 scabs and a bruised hip and ego. 

Those are all gone now and the only remaining scab is one that just appeared from out of nowhere on my left index finger.  I think maybe I should wear padding and gloves for the next couple of days so I can indeed be scab free!

p.s. After writing this I got two new scabs just packing up camp!

5 comments:

  1. Maybe you should slow down to half speed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been known to 'fall down' too!..slowing down might be a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always say if your not bleeding your not working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the slow fall off of my brothers RV stairs back in June. Got basement door handle rash down my back, turned my right butt cheek black for 2 weeks and my left hand index finger is still hard to bend 2 months later.

    I got a nice slow view of the sky as I was going down, amazing how it gives you time to feel the hits as you nail everything on your way down...

    I have managed to stay injury free since, but now that I posted this...

    Anyway, good luck keeping scab free! Enjoy the trip and safe travels.

    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't get scabs, I get bruises. ALL OVER. I've been doing pretty well, but just scraped the back of my leg on my step, and now have a nice bruise there. The other leg has such a big bruise on my shin, actually three bruises, I don't know if it will ever go away. Mine are all caused by moving too fast inside. Or not paying attention to what I'm doing. I think this is pretty common, at least for newbies.

    ReplyDelete