Just another average sunset in paradise!

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Grass is always greener

When I am at the house in Aticama I often think about things that I thought I missed from my life in the U.S. : air conditioning; television; internet; shopping and fast food.  Now that I am at my brother's home in Bakersfield, CA I find that I miss Aticama.  Boy am I hard to please!

It only took me about an hour to remember that even with a couple hundred TV channels available, there is really nothing I want to watch.  I have trouble sleeping in the air conditioned bedroom and it is playing havoc with my sinuses.  When I arrived here last week and crashed into bed, it was the first real bed I had slept in in 15 months.  When I sit down at the fastest internet connection I have used in years, all I do is check email and, when motivated, post to my blog.  The access to shopping is great but I have found that I miss walking down the hill and shopping at the small tiendas.  The fast food is okay but it doesn't compare to the meals I cook; I think I may be a little bit lazy.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am happy whether I am in Aticama or Bakersfield as there are things I love about both places.  I really enjoy the company of my brother and his family but I also enjoy the solitude of the house on the hill.  I now understand the philosophy of the "snow birds" who split their time between homes in the north and paradise in the south.  I think I will make a trip north each year part of my future planning!


This is me at my brother's house in Bakersfield.  Still in "short pants" weather as Tioga George likes to call it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Dave! I stumbled across your blog in search of a Mexican restaurant in Puerto Vallarta and I must say, I am very interested in reading your entries! I am very interested because I live in the states but my mom moved to Nayarit exactly two years ago. If this makes any sense, I feel like I am a bit closer to her when I read your blog. I love your insight on life in Mexico, especially since you, yourself, aren't Mexican. It's a very brave thing to do, in my opinion, to go to another country and live there. Especially with how things are right now. My mother, who lives in Nayarit, says that area isn't as bad as, say, Michoacan. Even so, it definitely takes more to voluntarily live in Mexico when you have the option of living in the states.In the states, you have access to everyday things that in Mexico are pretty much considered luxuries. I think I can very much see where you are coming from in this entry. You have a great blog and a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete